My family ADORES mocha cake..specially when it comes out right! I’ve probably baked this cake over 6 times in the past 3 months for birthdays, orders, and just because! I’ve finally perfected it! Enjoy!
Mocha Cake courtesy of Adriano Family Blog with my own tweaks.
You’ll want to cut this recipe in half if you just want the 2 layer cake or 2 dozen cupcakes.
2 cups sifted flour
1 tsp. fine iodized salt
1-1/2 cups white sugar
3 tsp. baking powder
2 tbsp. instant coffee
3/4 cup hot water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
8 egg yolks
8 egg whites
1 tsp. cream of tartar
· Preheat oven to 350 deg F. Grease and flour 8 -inch round baking pans and 3 inch in height. For mocha roll, use 12 x 16 x 1.0 inches tray lined with parchment paper (lightly grease the bottom of pan before putting the liner).
· In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, salt, 1 cup of the sugar, baking powder and coffee. Make a well in the center, and pour in oil and hot water.
· Using the electric mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the mixture at medium-low speed for 3 minutes. Continue mixing at the same speed; add egg yolks one at a time, blending well after each addition, until thoroughly mixed. Set aside.
· In another medium bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar with wire beater attachment of electric mixer at medium high speed until frothy. Add the remaining 1/2 cup sugar in three additions, beating until mixture is stiff and glossy.
· With a rubber spatula, gently fold one fourth of beaten egg whites into batter, scrapping bottom of bowl, until lightly blended. Gently fold about 1 cup of batter into beaten egg white mixture. Repeat until all the batter has been blended into egg white mixture. Pour evenly into prepared pans.
· Bake for 25 – 35 minutes (check for doneness at 25 mins.), then remove from oven and cool on wire rack.
Fill and frost then refrigerate.
For rolls, baking should only take about 15 minutes.
Italian Meringue (Coffee) Buttercream:
2 tbsp of instant coffee mixed with 3 tbsp of warm (not boiling) water pr 3 cups of IMBC
1/2 cup of cold water (120ml)
2 cups of sugar (530ml)
1 cup of eggwhites (10)
1 & 1/2 pound of soft unsalted butter (6 sticks)
1 tsp of vanilla extract
Kitchen stand mixer
Candy Thermometer (optional)
TIPS***This seems like a ridiculous amount of eggs and butter but the recipe makes two 8in. layers and a sheet cake (for the roll).
**Make sure your beaters and bowls are clean clean clean because the proteins in egg whites are very sensitive. Not a drop of egg YOLK should be in there!
1.Pour the eggwhites into the kitchen mixer with whisk attachment. Set aside.
2.Place sugar & water in a sauce pan and bring it to a boil. Boil it on medium high (closer to high) temperature.
3. When the sugar gets to 225 degrees, (after 5 min.) start mixing the egg whites.
4. When the sugar reaches 240-245 degrees (8 min.), take off the heat and pour in a thin stream into the egg whites while the mixer is on high speed.
5. Mix on high speed until the mixture is cool to the touch. I cradle the mixer with ice packs to speed up the cooling process.
6. Once the mixture is cool (make sure it is cooled! NOT warm!), switch to paddle attachment and drop in pieces of butter one at a time.
Continue mixing on medium high speed.
It may look curdled after a while but just continue mixing (patience..) pour in the coffee mixture and mix for another minute until combined.
7. Spread on cake and enjoy!